Re: Secondary question

At 11:53 AM 11/1/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Illicium Verum <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I might have been unclear with my questions (English is not my native language)

But what I would like to know is the minimum required numbers for the following units:

1.) Volume resistivity in Ohm per cm.

You want resistive enough that
a) you don't lose power from conduction along the length (think of it as a big resistor that has 500kV across it... )
b) You don't want the coil form to act as a shorted turn (current flow around the circumference)

2.) Dielectric strength in KV per mm.

If your secondary is, say, a meter long, and you're going to have 500 kV across it, the field along the coil form is 500kV/1000mm or 500 V/mm. You'd probably want 10 times that, or so, just to make sure. In any case, almost ANY plastic will have enough dielectric strength.

3.) Dielectric power factor

You're not storing a lot of energy in the dielectic field within the coil form, so it can actually be quite lossy. I'd imagine that almost any plastic (or wood, etc.) would work.

There have been some reports of certain kinds of cardboard that were particularly bad, but they probably had some sort of conductive glue or substrate.

4.) Dielectric constant

Lower is better, but it's not critical.

Thanks again and in advance,

sebastiaan