Re: Liquid resistive HV divider READY

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Marco,

On 30 May 2005, at 12:33, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Denicolai, Marco" <Marco.Denicolai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hello all,
>
> Maybe some of you recall that once I was building a big HV divider
> containing only water. Well, it is ready, it is working and now it has
> also been documented. I have to thank Paul Nicholson for his help and
> comments.
>
> Pictures, data, mechanical drawings and even source code can be found
> at:
>
> http://www.iki.fi/dncmrc/wprobe/hv_divider.htm
>
> In a nutshell:
>
> - division ratio 153000:1
> - max voltage 550 kV
> - bandwidth 12 MHz
>
> With that divider I can do voltage measurements of my Thor TC actually
> contacting the top toroid.
>
> Comments and feedback is welcome.

I think it has to be borne in mind that even 1.6MOhms of shunt
impedance is going to make some difference to the real output of the
coil and hence allowed for in any calculations. I think you've done
well to get the shunt capacitance that low. That will be almost
insignificant compared with Thor's secondary+topload capacitance.
Nice job.

Regards,
malcolm