Re: Getting back into coiling

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 5/16/05 12:59:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Welcome back to the wonderful world of coiling !!

Generally folks use a computer program such as JavaTC to figure
out the basic tuning requirements.  Usually one decides how long
they want their sparks to be and then works backwards to see how
much power is needed and what size coil is needed, etc.  There
are various rules of thumb.  Rotaries can be used with pole pigs
or with neon sign transformers.  Pole pigs are usually used with
async rotaries whereas NST's are usually used with synchronous
rotaries or static gaps.  The sync rotaries are usually run at
120 bps and provision must be provided for phasing the gap
to the input AC.  I use a remote electronic circuit for this purpose.
Generally the sync rotary will give a little better results from an
NST than a static gap can give.  I show my TT-42 NST powered
coil with sync rotary at my website at

  http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html

Click on spark gap coils.

To actually do the final tuning, one must adjust the tap point
on the primary for best spark output.

When using a static gap, a closer gap spacing will result in a
higher firing rate (break-rate), but usually will give shorter sparks.
A too-wide spacing will tend to ruin NST's.

I just gave a sort of overview of things, with not too many details.
Others will give more details.  It is true that John C's books are
outdated in certain ways.

Regards,
John F.