Re: Russian high-voltage installation (being scrapped?)

At 05:08 PM 5/2/2005, you wrote:

"Easy to stack.. I built a "giant NST".. Those transformers have 3
windings.
117 V, 4.5kV, and a 600V winding (designed to connect to a 10 uF, 660VAC
run
cap for PFC).  I feed the bottom transformer with 117 V, and connect the
600V winding to the 600 V winding of the next transformer. Secondaries
in
series.  Two stacks, with a common point grounded makes a 20kV, 450ma
(or
225mA)  current limited transformer.  I mounted the "high" transformers
on
4" standoffs, and connected to core to the 600V winding and one of the
terminals of the 4500V winding, figuring that would reduce the stress. I
also left the capacitor in, figuring PFC is a "good thing"."

Giant indeed! What have you done with it?

Interestingly, I haven't run a TC with it (although I should try)..

Mostly I used it to run big jacobs ladders or to make drawn arcs for special effects shots.
For instance, if you take a tennis ball, spray it with a strontium chloride solution, then hang it between the jacob's ladder electrodes, as the spark climbs past the ball, it makes very pretty red sparks over the surface of the ball.

It's current limited so relatively "screw up proof", but big enough and hot enough to hold a nice several inch long arc that can be filmed for later use in a composite.

I think a 1-2 kVA potential transformer and appropriate ballast would actually be lighter weight and work better. Especially if you were to create an electronic PWM ballast to regulate the current.

The potential transformer would also be generally "tougher". I haven't heard or seen evidence of internal breakdown in my cascade, but it just seems overly complex.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/xfrmr1.htm has a schematic at the bottom

Ed