Re: ScanTesla7 (was: ScanTesla7 for OSX)

At 05:32 PM 6/21/2005, you wrote:

Also would it be possible to make the program more parallel, perhaps
trying several models at the same time using different threads? This
would make it a lot faster on computers with either multiple CPUs or
CPUs that support Hyper-Threading... I ask, as it takes the same time
to run on my powerbook, and my dual G4... I really do not understand
enough of how the internals of the program work to just jump in and
try to do this without asking first.

My old computer is a dual processor and the new one is hyper threading. With E-Tesla, I could run two models at the some time in two different directories. They ran as two totally separate programs. I am sure you could run two models at once if you just copy the program to two different directories and run them as two totally separate programs. I did that the other day and it works fine. The CPU temperature did not change much at full 100% running these hot days. I guess the fan speeds up to take care of it... I know running programs like this on a laptop will run the batteries down real quick and heat it right up ;-))

The 3GHz 1G RAM hyper-threading machine with the 833MHz bus is probably ~24000 times more powerful than my first computer not counting hardware floating point math processing... The video card in it is almost as powerful too... It is bazaar how powerful they are!!!! I note they all have like four fans in them ;-)) The four computer here on the desk have 14 fans and they are loud! The room runs about 5 degrees hotter even with all LCD screens now! I am getting to be as bad as Chip. But he probably has 20 computers now :o))

My computers have two performance monitor screens. One for each CPU. Running a program just uses one, so a program is only using 50% of the machine. If you run two, it goes to 100%. No reason to try and run more.

I have no idea how to have "one" program use the two CPUs.... That would take someone who "really" knows how to program :o))

Cool that there is an apple version ;-) "C" seems pretty universal as long as you don't program anything fancy into it. E-Tesla ran on some pretty strange hardware at times ;-)) I know there was an Atari version ;-) And I think someone had it on one of those Palm things...

Well, the "other" computer just got done with a big model... ;-))

Cheers,

        Terry