Re: Ready for SSTC but need help

Original poster: Fucian@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 7/30/2005 10:07:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
free to email me with any questions you might have, i usually enjoy
answering technical questions, keeps the ideas in the front of my mind

ill second that i have hassled steve many many times about my drsstc
building and he has always been helpful.
thanks steve!
also a bit of my own advice from my previous problems is keep all
wires/connections as short as possible. anything little loops of
cable can pick up a lot of interfearance.
and dont make the mistake i did thinking that putting it all in a
shielded box would stop it. stick to a very good layout and it will
run without shielding then shield it if you want to for belt and braces.
cheers
colin heath

Yup, steve is the man ;-)It was his microsstc design that got me started, and his simple 74hc14 circuit that is doing it for me right now...Low fres is the key...I have 40n60s, which are alot faster than those big boy IGBTs, and i lost alot at high freq. Now im doing around 120khz, and can push them like crazy and havent lost any, despite trying to kill them!I run them at 1.5ms ontimes, and around 200bps and full power still wont kill em.
Everyone here loves to help!(thanks guys!)
If you need a driver built, i have an expresspcb file you could use to have made. It seems to run very well.(lotsa short thick traces)Just let me know if yould like to see it.Its a simple design, so i would reccomend one of steves that uses current limiting to and other safety features for those big slow IGBTs...
Matt