Re: LC and Misc.

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In theory you
> could make a coil with no top end at all. (maybe
> someone out there has
> done so?)

Here's mine-

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/dwsstc/wk2_pics.html

It used about 1500 turns of 0.125mm wire on a 4.6" x
9" thin walled polycarbonate former. (a plastic
bottle) I used a telescopic antenna as the breakout
point. It was a SSTC powered by a MOSFET driver
running off half wave rectified 240v line.

As I noted on the web page, adding a topload to this
coil just about doubled the length of the streamers. I
wasn't expecting that and got quite a surprise when I
fired it up! :-o

It resonated at 160kHz without the topload and 130kHz
with.

Steve Conner