Large Tesla Coil Construction Details - Help Improving The Primary

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys,

With all the comments regarding the extra resistance of bronze and corona
breakdown of wood, I think I will rebuild the primary plate using HDPE with
pure copper.

I have questions regarding coupling and the alignment of the primary in
relation to the secondary. I basically followed Terry's design with the
4.25" distance between the primary and secondary. This is even though he's
using 30KV and I'm using 14.4KV. I did leave room to tighten up the coupling
somewhat if need be. How can I calculate this with more certainty?

Also, I aligned the first winding of both the primary and the secondary to
the same height. Most designs I've looked at don't specify whether there is
a difference and a lot have insulation so thick in between you can't really
see to even guess. What is the rule of thumb here?

Thanks,
Cameron