RE: Streamer V/I evolution

Hi Steve,

Cool!!

The lower rail voltage seems very stable but the top rail sure seems to dip a lot. Not sure if something is wrong there or not.

I am not sure what the scale of the integral(V x I)dt curve is? But that and BPS should give you a real power number for the power input to the coil.

Interesting to see the effect of the ground strike! it seems to be lowering the Q of the system since the current is going down. the voltage spikes might be the actual streamer current pulses to the ground. The bump of spikes at ~60uS might be the streamer itself and it's current?

If we know the top voltage to start with or maybe just the integral (current) dt and the top capacitance, there should be a way to figure out the power, I think.

Cheers,

        Terry

At 02:59 PM 7/22/2005, you wrote:

> What I'm after is more an energy balance. If we
> could calculate the
> bang energy

I've managed to use a DSO to measure the energy transferred into the tank circuit from my DRSSTC H-bridge-

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/drsstc/scope/analysis.gif

But I don't know how much of that energy goes into the arc (a 22" single shot ground strike, connecting with the target at ~120us, in this case) and how much gets dissipated as heat in the coils.

You could use the same method as I did but using Terry's fibre optic probes to measure topload voltage and breakout point current. However it's a lot harder to get a meaningful power measurement because the streamer draws a noisy high frequency pulsed current. The crest factor must be insane.

Steve Conner