Re: Ring lightning

Original poster: Davetracer@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 7/20/2005 2:20:24 PM Mountain Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "Dave Halliday" <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The amount of force produced by the corona discharge is very tiny --
make sure that you have as close to a frictionless bearing as possible.

Don't expect it to power anything except itself.

I found that an aluminum foil "spinner" worked fine on a Vacuum Tube Tesla Coil (2 x 811A tubes), but did not work at all as well on a Neon Sign Tesla Coil. Two observations: the VTTC tunes very, very "tight", and that seems to help a lot. Second, the Neon Sign coil tends to "spray" streamers in all directions, and not just out of the ends of the aluminum foil.

This was back in the days before I had the faintest clue how to tune coils better, so take this advice with a grain of salt water caps. (grin)

    -- take care,

    David