RE: Streamer V/I evolution - Topics Moderator note

Hi Again Again,

I took the data file and assumed a top voltage of about 100kV. Here is the instant power and cumulative power:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Marco-003.gif

Keep in mind the bandwidth of the scope (100MHz), voltage antenna (100MHz), and the current probe (20MHz).

But it looks like the spark power hits 4GW!!  The whole spark last only 20nS!

Cheers,

        Terry

Hi Again,

I will try to play with this too. My top voltage is monitored remotely, unlike your "dream system", so I really don't have numbers there but the waveforms should "look" right. My tiny sparks are also little...

Cheers,

Terry

I have the plain wave antenna for the top voltage (no calibration) and a Pearson 110 current monitor on the ground rod like this:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-57.jpg

I set the scope for 50 ohms input impedance so that bandwidth should be pretty good to 20MHz. The spark gap was about 10cm.

Here is a typical higher speed scope capture I got:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Marco-001.gif

The scope is 100MHz. The yellow is the top voltage from the plane wave antenna (not in a real good position sitting on a trash can under the table...) and the blue is the current from the Pearson. It looks like the big spark takes place in about 50nS! The raw numerical data file is here:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Marco-002.CSV

Cheers,

Terry