Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "father dest" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

hi Malcolm.

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Careful! Except in a trivial case noted below there is no dependency
> between toroid "size" and breakout voltage.

ok ok - i`m just a beginner, very beginner, so be a slightly indulgent :-)
then one more time:

>- make the secondary tall/long enough that it will not flashover with
>the maximum Ep that will be thrown at it
>- make the topload ROC such that the coil will barely breakout with
>the maximum voltage it will develop with a maximum bang size

>Bang size is all-important. It is a major determinant of output voltage for
>one thing (assuming a suitable ROC for the topload). It also maximizes
>energy dumping into a growing leader

i understand ethings about energy - the more - the better, as for the ROC -
it`s understandable too - to avoid corona loses and to get a discharge only
after full energy transfer from primary to secondary.
but what`s the use of too high voltage across the secondary? we can decrease
it by picking up a larger toroid, it =had to be decreased= at high Ep, coz
as H:D can`t be increased infinitely. and we don`t want any flashovers - do
we? :-)

now instead of the "minimum bps" question i`m asking about minimum
(at practical viewpoint) Vout - does it exist?
but maybe it`s just as with bps - do we need some middle value?
or we have to increase geometrical sizes and aspire to the maximum voltage?
:-)

---
Your not coiling unless your blowing capacitors! Then when you get
things worked out to where the capacitors stop blowing, you start
blowing transformers. (c) Richard Quick 11-03-93 20:42