Re: 7.1Hz, how the heck did Tesla succeed?

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > If there were significant random changes
> > > over a span of seconds, then this would appear on spectrum
> > > measurements as an artifact: a falsely wide resonance band, and a
> > > falsely low Q.  See
> > > http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/1995/january/msg00002.html
>
> Uhh.. I don't know that you can have a "high Q" resonator with "small
> random frequency changes". I suppose if you define Q as the energy stored
> vs the energy lost in one period, it would work.

Right; I was thinking about the hot resistor in the RLC circuit.  If you
have an ideal LC resonantor with zero bandwidth and infinite Q, and then
you wiggle the capacitor plates to add some FM, the losses are still zero
so the Q is still infinite.  But now is the bandwidth the extent of the
sidebands, or do we follow the peak around and then declare that the
bandwidth is still zero?  :)

(((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST website billb at amasci com http://amasci.com EE/programmer/sci-exhibits amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci