Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps - any difference?

Hi John,

I'm thinking of two types of experiments: One with a SRSG where one is limited to multiples of 120 bps (sounds like you have this one covered) and the other using a ARSG where you have more choices of BPS (but should probably avoid 60 and 120 bps so you dont alias with the line frequency). With SRSG, seems like one advantage of 240 bps is a smaller Cp (STR). Did you change Cp in your comparisons between 120 and 240 bps to keep the same power and still fully charge Cp. Seems like going to half the Cp at 240 bps would necessitate a smaller toroid (with smaller reach)

Gerry R.

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx
Gerry,

Yes, if I understand your proposal, I've performed it within a limited
range, but the 120 bps with large bang was better than 240 bps
with small bang.  I also tried 60 bps with even larger bang, but
it wasn't quite as good as 120 bps.  I did one test where I thought
60 bps was better, but when I redid the test more accurately
the advantage went away.  I didn't try break rates such as
130 bps 140 bps 150 bps, etc.  But it seems that somewhere
around 100 to 120 bps is best.  Other experimenters have
experimented with various variable breakrate coils, while
keeping the bang size constant, and various results were seen.
I think most folks saw the best results at low breakrates.
The input power was kept constant in these tests.

John