Re: 7.1Hz, how the heck did Tesla succeed?

It just occurred to me that many of these images were captured in Colorado Springs. Surely if
a) The laws of physics are invariant throughout space then b)The laws of physics are also invariant over 110 years, i.e. Tesla may have been looking at positive lighting. Seems plausible that he may have wondered what causes 'Those unusual measurements during 5% of lightning storms...". Or maybe he simply didn't manage to capture them. - Who knows.

Is the physics of positive lightning well understood?

This physics of lightning, positive, negative, or any other kind, is not real well understood. There's a fair amount of data. Some good theories on cloud electrification, but overall, not too well understood.

Its only been on record for about 10 years.

Longer than that. Oct 93 American Metorological Society Severe Storm/Atmospheric Electricity conference has papers on it.

Do we know anything about the conductive nature of the ionosphere and how it could be connected to ground?

Conductive is stretching things a bit. See page 41 of the NRL Plasma Physics Formulary or, more to the point, the chart on page 50.

Earth ionosphere shows up as about 1E5 number density (in 1 cm^3) making it a worse conductor than, say, flames (1E7). and a LOT worse than a high pressure arc (i.e. a spark) at 1E17.

http://wwwppd.nrl.navy.mil/

These things can stretch to 100 Miles so it could be a means if injecting pulses of enegery in to the ionosphere using low loss. But then how could we get it out again without causing chaos to the airline service?