SRSG Phase Controller

Original poster: "Rob Judd" <canska@xxxxxx>

Has anyone successfully used this phase controller with a larger motor?

My SRSG motor is a 0.5 HP 3600RPM motor... I spent a good deal of time
meticulously taking this motor apart, cleaning it, grinding flats in the
rotor, and making it nice looking. It has performed flawlessly so far and it
sync's hard (no slip) at 105V or higher (I've never gone over 120V into it).

I'd love to make a phase controller for it, but I'm a bit concerned, due to
the description on John's webpage... quote "Larger motors of 1/2HP or more
may exibit a dangerous type of self-breaking [sic] action, especially if the
capacitor is too large."

I do hope that was intended to mean "self-braking", not breaking! Still, its
not good either way.

The only spare variac I have is a 120V 28A Powerstat, and I have some 100uF
320VAC motor run caps on hand that I could network to obtain 50uF, 100uF,
150uF, or 200uF. The resistor and fuse are easily available at RadioShack
like stores, so thats not a problem. Is this do-able, or am I going to
destroy my lovely motor?

Thanks!

Rob Judd - canska@xxxxxx
http://homepage.a5.com/~canska/tesla