Re: Help with my rotary gap (and other tuning problems).....

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Adam R,

Is the variac hooked up as a variable inductor or as a autoxfmr. You should have it hooked up as a variable inductor with one end connected to hot and the wiper connected to the rest of the circuit.

I use a 7.5 A 116U Powerstat with a 40uF motor run cap to drive a 1/20 hp hystersis sync motor. I still need to add or subtract a little to get the resonant rise. I have never blown the 2A fuse, except when I forgot to have the motor hooked up, and switched my controller from static gap mode to syncronous gap mode. (selector switch)

David E Weiss

Original poster: "Adam R." <arabraxas@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I checked my setup: the fuse to the cap was blown the whole time! Well, I tried again, and the fuse kept on blowing....its a small 2A fast acting fuse, the motor itself is .03A so there shouldn't be a problem. I put the variac in line just by connecting the leads to the numbers 1 and 3 (there's five connectors on the variac, 1, 2 ,3, 4, 5...its a small Ohmite one)..... the fuse still kept blowing. Is the cap value too big for the motor? Plus, in parallel, wouldn't the cap just act as a short? that's what it intuitively seems.