Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps - any difference?

Hi,

At 01:26 AM 7/13/2005, you wrote:
hi Terrell, John.

so, what does the spark`s length influenced by - power or bang size?
you both are saying that bang size does, but look here:

<http://members.aol.com/futuret/page5.html>http://members.aol.com/futuret/page5.html

"In a well designed TC, the spark length will follow the formula:
spark length (inches) = 1.7*sqrt input power (wallplug watts)"

there`s no connection with single discharge energy here, but i know, this equation
works and works well - that`s why i`ve asked my questions.

John's equation there is for NST powered coils at 120BPS only. We are trying to extend it to other coils and BPS rates too.

In the case of the DRSSTC, we can easily hold the bang energy almost exactly constant while running the BPS form 40 to 6000 BPS!! After about 100 BPS, the streamers just don't seem to get much longer. They do get hotter.

John - how would you comment your own equation? in this way:

"Any coil that gives a certain spark length at a high bps, can be redesigned to
give an even longer spark for the same power input at a lower bps"
?

There is a real growing amount of evidence that you just wasting power past say 100 BPS. Best to put it into bigger primary caps... My DRSSTC can run at any BPS, but it appears that I need to make it run far larger primary caps (bigger bang) for greater streamer length... I guess we could call it the "Big Bang" theory :o))

but it`s not similar to Terrell`s words:

>the 20 Joule system should have arcs SQRT(20/4) = 2.236 times longer.

_too_ large difference.

That is bang energy not power. power = energy/bang x BPS

p.s.
i`m disturbed by the following: at 100 bps i have too heavy currents in the primary
circuit - 1200 a peak and approximately 10 a rms - there would be some
problems with a capacitor & large loses in the wires.
and it`s only 2 kW!!! what can happen at 5 kW or 10 kW at 100 bps - terrible %-)

Indeed!! Very big cap and small value inductor gets very high primary current. But the streamers like it that way!! For the DRSSTC, I have been "pulsing" it on every second. It fires for 25 bangs and then rests for a second. The streamers seem to reach their maximum length after about 15 bangs.

---

Your not coiling unless your blowing capacitors! Then when you get things
worked out to where the capacitors stop blowing, you start blowing transformers.

DRSSTCs don't have transformers ;-))) 12 years latter, we are pretty good at not blowing things, and were coiling harder than ever ;-))

(c) Richard Quick 11-03-93 20:42

Cheers,

        Terry