Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps - any difference?

Original poster: boris petkovic <petkovic7@xxxxxxxxx>

> Length ~ SQRT(bang energy) > > The 20 Joule system should have arcs SQRT(20/4) = > 2.236 times longer. > The higher BPS only seems to make them brighter and > more powerful but not > longer. > > Cheers, > > Terry > ----- I would say the relation Lenght::SQRT(bang energy) is more suitable for a single shot discharge test on a given coil.IOW,in this case Lenght~Vout is a strong depedence in a typical TC output potentials ballpark.

But these devices develop sparks by the virtue of subsequent bangs owing to remanent channel ionisation and,to some extent,space charge debris. Hence the complications. For a fixed power input on a tested coil ,the relation may turn to be weakly correlated with experiments in 120...240 BPS range,while being reasonably well correlated in 500...1000 BPS range. I guess some OLTC experimenters will be probing their systems as regards these matters. I think J.Freau did some tests on his spark gap coil in the past , and made comparations between 120 BPS and 240 BPS mode,so he may wish to comment more about it.

Cheers,
Boris

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs