Re: Repairing NST's

At 08:23 PM 7/6/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Mike Knowlton" <amdx@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I have 4 nonworking NST's that I would like to repair.
3 - 12kv @ 30ma and a 9kv @ 30ma

What is the best solvent to use to disolve the tar?

I'm thinking about putting them all in a bucket and
letting them soak for a few days. (weeks?)

Mike

Good luck!

Many people have had luck with the following strategies:

1) Freeze it, then hit it with a chisel and hammer. The tar cracks in solid block (but you might lose the fine wires.

2) Heating to melt the tar, shaking to redistribute, then resolidifying, may fix your NST.

3) Heating to melt the tar out (old barbeque grills have been suggested..)

4) All manner of hydrocarbon solvents (gasoline, kerosene, etc.), but they're all slow. (kind of like trying to dissolve the asphalt in the street in front of your house).