Re: Homemade litz with THHN wire?

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 7:13 PM Subject: Re: Homemade litz with THHN wire?

> Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx> > > "But the individual strands of Litz wire must be sized according to the > operating frequency. See a table at > http://www.coonerwire.com/Products/Litz/DesignD_2.html. The smallest > strand size commonly used is 30AWG, and this is suitable only for > frequencies 1-10Khz, or below. Higher frequencies require comparably > smaller strands; 36AWG is recommended for 50-100KHz. > > Regards, Gary Lau > MA, USA" > > I think you mean the largest size is #30. #3-41 used to be used for > radio IF transformers. I have a roll of what I recall to be something > like #38-44. Wire is really too small to strip practically, even with > chemical stripper. > > I still can't imagine any reason to use litz wire for a TC.

Well.... a lot of TC'ing is demonstrating craftsmanship and "cool looking"
stuff. (It's those "Fine Corinthian Leather" knobs on the variac, for
instance)...

There's a heck of a lot of stuff in TCs that isn't strictly needed for
performance, but is more because they're works of art.  There's something
satistfying in a wood cased grandfather clock with a pendulum going
tick-tock, even though an imported $10 Chinese quartz Timex knockoff is more
accurate.