Re: Low Impedance Negative Resistance Tesla Coils

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 28 Jan 2005, at 11:51, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: stork <stork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I have often been struck by the theoretical implications of negative
> resistance in regenerative antennae and have wondered about their
> application to TCs.  It would be attractive to design a TC coil where
> DC resistance is eliminated and 100% of input power  is devoted to
> output reactive power only.  Apparently this concept was not lost on
> Tesla as he wrote about it over a year ahead of Armstring and his
> early regenerative oscillators.  Further thought suggests easy
> application to CW tube TCs and even solid state TCs which have caught
> our fancy and seem to be the rage of Tesla coiling currently.  And,
> rightly so.
>
> http://www.tfcbooks.com/articles/tws5.htm
>
> stork

Regeneration requires the use of a power supply to overcome the real
loss so in terms of power spent you actually only gain a further
inefficiency. This is quite different to increasing the collecting
power of an antenna.

Malcolm