RE: Notches...... please explain

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx>

Notches refer to the point (or points) on primary tank waveforms when
energy on the primary side is at a minimum and secondary energy is at a
maximum.  In a perfect world, the first time in each "bang" that this
occurs, the spark gap would cease conducting, trapping all energy on the
secondary side.  In practice, particularly when streamers do not connect
to a grounded target, there will be more than one primary-to-secondary
exchanges and notches.  First-notch quenching is desirable because the
more pri-sec energy exchanges there are, the more losses there are.
Richie Burnette's superbly illustrated web site
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml does an excellent job at
describing this.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA