Re: SIDAC Spark Substitute

Original poster: Shaun Epp <scepp@xxxxxxx>

Hello Peter,

It's a great idea in theory but unfortunatly not practical. The SIDACs wouldn't be able to handle the current which is hundreds of amps pulsed in a tesla coil primary circuit. I've never seen high current SIDAC's but I've played with ignition coil like circuits too using them.

You could look into OLTC type telsa coils(I'm not sure if they're simpler or not compared to an SSTC) or obtain a PlasmaSonic board that someone on the list isn't using and make yourself a SSTC. I have one PlasmaSonic board fully working and I have it connected to a 6 inch primary coil mounted onto my spark gap tesla coil. It works well and it saved my winding another secondary coil and making another base (I don't have the room for more coils).

Good luck,

Shaun Epp

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 10:19 AM Subject: SIDAC Spark Substitute

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

This is a proof of principle coil rather than a big performer. It uses SIDAC's in place of a spark gap (As I use spark gaps, which is with the tank cap across the supply rather than the spark gap across the supply). These are symmetrical breakdown devices which act similarly to a sparkgap.
Info: <http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MKP3V120-D.PDF>http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MKP3V120-D.PDF
The SIDAC's cost US$1.33 each in 10 quantity at Digikey. <http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/C041/0618.pdf>http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/C041/0618.pdf

As set up at present it is driven by a MOT transformer with the associated 11kV diode and 0.95 uF 2KVAC cap wired as a voltage doubler to provide 5.6 KV or so. This is dumped by a SIDAC or rather 22 in series each shunted by 1 megOhm. Each SIDAC is rated to breakdown at 240V and has a 1A RMS or 20A pulse capacity. The string of 22 SIDAC's will nominally breakdown at 5280V.

Also shown running ignition coils (with much better performance) <http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au/Other_HV_stuff.htm#Ignition coil sparks>here.

This might have application for small coils running low voltages where spark gaps become problematic, but without the complexity of an SSTC.

Pics at <http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au/Solid%20State.htm>http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au/Solid%20State.htm showing 2 inch sparks.

I guess this could be called a SIDAC Spark Substitute Solid State Tesla coil. (SSSSSTC!)

Peter (Tesla Downunder)
<http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au>http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au