Re: Advice on Primary

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

I wound over fifty feet through eight lexan supports,
and it was a pain. But it looked real pretty!

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/primary.htm

I couldn't have done it myself though. My wife helped
me. I wound from the outside inward. I got all fifty
feet threaded through before soldering the next
section on. To solder it, I found a piece of solid
copper wire that fit tightly inside, then soldered it
and wiped it smooth. The first time through, I had
glued the supports to the base. As my spiral got
smaller, and tighter, it broke my glue loose. I then
unwound the tubing slightly and screwed my supports to
the base. I've heard of some folks who tried to wind
the tubing onto the supports loose, but I haven't
tried this. Given how tough 1/4" was, I think it would
be nearly impossible to do this with larger tubing.

Don't worry about the "double wound" package. It winds
off smoothly with no problem. I wouldn't try to unwind
it then rewind it. You will end up work hardening the
tubing.

Good luck
Adam