Re: Maxwell Cap Info.

Original poster: Edward Wingate <ewing7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Steve, Jim,

You can't actually tell anything about the PPS rating of a Maxwell
capacitor by the part/series number. Over the past 6 or 7 years I have
personally bought, sold and used over 300 used Maxwell pulse caps of all
part numbers, types and ratings. I've also torn a few apart to see how
they were built and Maxwell KNOWS how to build pulse capacitors. They
seem to be very conservatively rated in every instance I've seen.

I recently e-mailed an engineer at General Atomics, the company who took
over the line of Maxwell pulse caps, for the spec sheet for Maxwell
#31393, .06 MFD @ 40 KV, of which I have a fair quantity. He graciously
sent the spec and outline sheet along with a personalized statement
about ratings which follows.

"Hello Edward Wingate,

I've attached our specification sheet and outline drawing for capacitor
p/n 31393.  The specification sheet shows a maximum continuous rep rate
of 100 pps and a maximum rms current of 25 A.  The most important
parameter is the rms current of 25 A max.

Whatever combination of circuit parameters you have: peak discharge
current, charge voltage, voltage reversal,
discharge waveform and rep-rate, THE RMS CURRENT CANNOT EXCEED 25 A.

Best Regards"

The capitol letters are his, not mine.

Steve, I would suggest that you e-mail General Atomics with the part
number of your cap to get the actual specs.

Hope this helps,

Ed Wingate RATCB