Peek inside the IRG4PF50WD IGBT 8-)

Hi All,

I took a little hot fuming sulfuric acid (don't do this at home!!) to one of the IRG4PF50WD IGBTs I pulled out the other day. They don't make it at all easy to get inside them!!:

Here you can see the IGBT(left) and the reverse diode:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/one.jpg

The parts are indeed perfectly good. The die surfaces are a little dirty from the acid etch (especially the diode), but the die themselves are in perfect condition. The IGBT is almost all copper on top with an aluminum over coating for wire bonding.

The gate fingers are far fewer and far more spread out than I expected:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/two.jpg

It does not take much to drive them ;-)

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/three.jpg

The larger wirebonds are 20mil (350mil long) and the gate bond is 5mil Al.

Not all that much to see on the surface of IGBTs, but there is what they look like. They are very well made in general. Seems like there might be a little voltage drop on the emitter bond at say 500 amps, but that's why we drive them at 30V ;-))

Cheers,

	Terry