Terry's DRSSTC

Hi All,

I wound a little 20 x 6 secondary so now I can run indoors again :-)) It has ~1360 turns of #28 wire on it. With a small toroid Fo is 120kHz. So I don't have to worry about weather or the big coil inside anymore. Spent all day yesterday making the new secondary:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/NewSecondary.JPG

I fiddled with some noise issues today.

It appears standard 1k logic pullups con be almost tripped by the noise running around. Mostly radiated and some conducted coming back on the CT lines. Standard TTL logic would fry, but the 74HCxx stuff seems rock solid. I am sure everything in the main controller is find since it is in the metal box as well.

The noise is 17, 34, 60MHz stuff. It is pretty independent of drive current!! Since the primary LC dominates the current, not too much goofy stuff goes on current wise. The noise seems all +-300V high speed voltage switching noise. Right now it is getting into the unshielded protection logic board and keeps tripping the over current. But a few caps sprinkled around seem to fix it fine. They are 100 - 1000pF values so I need to order a bunch from Digikey since I don't have the "right" ones. I should probably also reduce the dead time since that is when the noise rings freely.

I think I should increase the value of the gate drive resistors to slow the switching and reduce the noise too. High power 60MHz is sort of intense. Probably best to let the IGBTs heat up a little rather than have the thing be like a microwave oven inside. But even as is, the noise seems perfectly controllable with the standard "add a cap" tricks.

So I am going to fix the weak noise spots in the circuits, and then go after the noise at the source. Hopefully, I can get a good feel for the noise issues and how to take care of them. I think we need to get things like noise pretty well figured out before everybody goes making DRSSTCs ;-)

So mostly just fiddling still ;-))

Cheers,

	Terry