Re: Capacitor Help (spark gap)

Original poster: "MalcolmTesla" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 5:54 PM

> Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hello Malcom
>
>  > That looks interesting.  I take it the spark gap is very important with
>  > regards to output.
> indeed it is, but at your current power levels its may prove pretty easy
> to build a good solution for a static gap, your approach sounds
reasonable.
> I am not sure how thick a penny is, sounds like it could be a bit too
wide,
> but then again, you can use less gaps and will be OK.
> However, the idea is not to strain the gap, but to distribute it into many
> smaller gaps wich can transport heat away better, thus helping quenching.

I did make the 4" PVC spark gap with copper tubes in there.  I saw a pretty
big improvement over just using the two bolts so I was very pleased with
that.  It makes sense that if I go to a gap even smaller than a penny and
distribute the spark over even more tiny gaps it would work even better.  I
think I'll build another 4" PVC spark gap with credit card width gaps this
time.

>  > Interesting you should mention that.  It came to mind and we didn't
have
>  > anything handy right here at work to put inside the secondary so we
stuffed
>  > some wal-mart bags in there to form a dielectric between the top and
bottom.
> Hm, I am not sure if this would help. Additionally, if you fill your
> secondary with
> a bunch of material, this should not aid the HF-propperties. If have no
idea
> how many bags "some" are ;-)

It was actually only two bags.  One on each end all crunched up.  I will do
something more professional soon.

> At lower power you should get away without any baffles, just make sure
> the inside of the tube is clean, dry, no oil, you can still sand, dry
> ( not bake )
> and warnish the inside of the tube if you haven't done so, yet.

I agree.  That's quite a jump down the tube but once I get more turns on my
primary and get the system in tune properly it may be important.

Lots of good info there.  Thanks.

Malcolm - KC