Re: SAFETY GAP CONNECTIONS

Hi Ed,

I showed my preference hookup in the related post. I prefer a 2 terminal system to be at rf ground, one output tied to rf ground, and the case of the transformer at rf ground as well. Same would go with a 3 terminal safety gap system. The rf ground side is noisy and I don't think anyone would argue against that, but the noise is not reflected back on mains ground when mains ground ends at the control power cabinet and rf ground is at the transformer case. I agree, the case center tap and center terminal of the safety gap should "not" be separated.

However, I don't see a perfect system out there. There are reasons on both sides of the old argument "where does mains ground end and rf ground begin". For myself, I want them separated. So, I chose to keep all hv situations on rf ground and the low voltage side at mains ground. For this to occur, mains ground must end at the control panel.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

From some of these discussions I get the impression that there is a recommendation that with a "two-gap" system protecting an NST the center terminal of the gap should go to "an RF ground" SEPARATE from the center tap (usually case) of the NST. That sounds wrong to me as I can't see how such a connection would necessarily protect the transformer from inadvertent over voltage conditions. Connection to the center tap AND a good RF grounds makes more sense.