RE: Capacitor Help

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Not everyone connects the RF ground to the NST case.  Malcolm Watts in
NZ is a strong advocate of tying the mains-ground to the NST case.
Since no RF ground is perfect, there is high voltage hash present on the
RF ground.  Malcolm W reasons that if the case is at RF-ground and the
NST primary is at mains-ground (or neutral), the significant
differential there may stress the modest insulation between the NST
primary and the core. No 3-terminal safety gap is used to RF ground.
While a primary strike would in fact then be coupled to the mains, he
maintains strikes may be avoided by making the top load sufficiently
high.

I don't know how popular the two methods are relative to each other, but
I suspect the RF ground to the case is more widely used.  Both methods
have their plusses and minuses.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: "MalcolmTesla" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>