Jeremiah, Christopher, All,

You are overlooking one very big point. There will always be those who will make their own caps just because they can and need to BECAUSE they can.. Just as most people will by a cake, and some will buy a cake mix, there will always be a few that, when they want a cake, will buy flour, sugar, milk, and eggs, not because of financial necessity or convenience, but because they just need to.

Matt D.

In a message dated 12/14/05 7:59:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "Hooper, Christopher AZ" <christopher.az.hooper@xxxxxxxxx>

I agree mucho, been there, go MMC!
--------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed Dec 14 13:25:00 2005
Subject: Re: Build own capacators

Original poster: tesla popp <teslas_lab@xxxxxxxxx>

Just a little story: I used to defend all the homemade
caps with a vengance, totally set against the idea the
of spending money.  I had just completed my 14th
homemade capacitor (polyethylene-60 mills thick) and
waited 5 days to drive the air out.  Upon powering the
cap with 15kvAC.  I was delited to see such great
preformance from my first run with the cap.

Only 10 seconds into the run "BANG"... I killed the
cap!  As the oil became darker, my concept of
capacitors melted away and I told myself "There MUST
be something better, something more DEPENDABLE"

I frantically began to search the web for lastng
solutions and I came across something I had never
heard of, It was called an M.M.C.,  I decided to go
and spend a bit of $ and see if this thing called a
Multi Mini Capacitor was really all that great.

Let me tell you that since that fateful day, I have
never even considered building another homemade
capacitor, NEVER!  The cd942 series capacitor is THE
BEST CAPACITOR for tesla coil use, PEROID!
It will OUT PREFORM and OUTLAST *ANY* other
comercially available capacitor for the price.  It is
also MORE COMPACT than even some of the maxwells out
there.

Just a thought...
Coiler Forever: Jeremiah Popp