Re: Tesla Coil Formula

Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui@xxxxxxxxx>

All systems will have 3/4, 1, 1.5, wave lengths as based from the
reference operating frequency. But, they will not operate well at
those frequency's as compared to the "natural" system resonant
frequency "for the purpose of producing sparks". The very minute the
coil is affected by outside influence, the coil is no longer 1/4 wave
wire length, and that's just nature taking it's natural course.

Sparks are mostly what this list is about. If a system other than
that is to be discussed, then we must certainly differentiate the
application. I think possibly this is the defining reason for so much
disagreement on these type of topics.

The application defines the discussion parameters.

Thanks for your comments.

Take care,
Bart

Hi Bart:

We produce torroidal coils where the "natural" resonant frequency is
one wavelength. These coils are very good at producing sparks.

They obey the equation:

2pi n/2 C/ wire = 1/ sqrt (  (u/4pi) x  [(Wire sqrd)/ 2n l]  x  Cap. )

"The application defines the discussion parameters."

We have built many different types of coils using the above equation.
The equation does qualify as a Tesla coil formula. The topic is about
Tesla Coil Formula's.

Sincerely: Jared dwarshuis

Hi Matt:

We have not experimented with bifilar windings, but it does sound
interesting. Right now I am winding a spherical inductor to see how it
performs as a half wave, or at least I was winding it untill I ran out
of wire.