Re: Capacitor Help

Original poster: "MalcolmTesla" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:13 PM

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <vardin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> At 08:16 PM 12/13/2005, you wrote:
> >

> >I have no problem adding more tubing.  Do I just join it with a tiny
piece
> >and solder them like I was fixing a water leak in the house?  Will this
> >still work properly?
>
> Yep!  Maybe a bit of wire inside the tube will help hold it
> too.  Soldering the tubing together is fine.

I was thinking of adding a small stub of 3/8" or what ever fits over to
secure the two together.  Or better yet crush a small cut off and press it
inside the two so no external blemish shows.  I just got done looking at my
coil and noticed it can only support a max of 10 turns.  Since this doesn't
give me much room to experement or adjust (11 turns might be my sweet spot?)
should I just scrap this setup and start winding tighter with only 1/2"
gaps.  I could also start closer to the secondary.  Right now I have 1 1/2"
gap around the secondary PVC before the first primary winding starts.

Speaking of secondary PVC I was just in the garage starting to cut it down
to size and I got to thinking.  Do I need to leave any additional pipe on
either end?  For example I'm going to wrap say 20" of wire.  Should I cut
the PVC at 22" so I have a 1" gap on either end?  Or do I leave say 6 or 8"
gap on the top so I can place my torid up higher?

Thanks
Malcolm - KC

> >Terry, thank you for all the help, I've answered some questions inline up
> >above.  I noticed while reading the archieves that lots of people speak
of
> >tuning the system for X lenght of sparks.  How exactly do you tune the
> >system?  Is it by adjusting where you tap into the primary, by adjusting
the
> >spark gap? or a combination of the two?  I guess I should ask before I
just
> >fire the system up and ruin it but how big should I set the spark gap?
What