Re: Tesla coil formula

Shawn wrote
"it is the inductance of the coil itself that determines this".

Well said! I usually stay away from these posts, but I'm bored (just uploaded 3 pcb's for 4pcb.com to quote). Nothing else to do.

The length of the wire has no ability to account for the interturn capacitance or interturn inductance which is formed by currents within the wire and currents affected by other currents in adjacent turns. This is "rediculously" obvious. If one must consider these "real" situations, then wire length theory hits a dead end.

The bottom line is wire length thoery is limited, and we are beyond that limit (but not everyone has traveled down that path). There was a time when coils were built with wire length theory, they worked fine, and the theory was accepted.

This list has battled these issues in the past (ref the archives). The fact is, as we strive to understand the physics encompassed with our coils, we realized wire length theory could not provide the answers. If you want to "ball park" these physics, fine. But, if you really want to know, follow the currents.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Shaun Epp <scepp@xxxxxxx>

Peter,

This short path that you talk about known as self inductance, is exactly why the wire length is not the determining factor for resonance wavelength of a coil, it is the inductance of the coil itself that determines this. The inductance includes the magnetic flux that crosses adjacent conductors of the coil.

Shaun