RE: Edge Wound Primaries

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Edge-wound helical coils are sometimes used in RF tank applications
because they have higher Q's and lower losses due to lower proximity
effect, as the spacing between turns is maximized, while minimizing
conductor and winding length.

It's not uncommon to build flat pancake primaries wound with ribbon
stock, as this is far easier to construct, and may (?) benefit from the
lower proximity effects, but I'd worry about eddy current losses.  I
doubt there's an easy way to build an edge-wound helix without some very
specialized equipment.  And how much these benefits and losses will
actually affect spark performance remains an open question.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA