Re: The Electrum Project

Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"1000 kBA" in russian means "1000 KVA" in english. dou you like it?
then come here and take it from me :-)

If Greg is having trouble getting funding for ALF, maybe he should relocate to Russia and start raiding scrapyards. The Communists liked to build stuff big :-o

I think I would rather have some of Greg's toys
http://www-project.slac.stanford.edu/ilc/meetings/workshops/Mod_Wrkshp_01_05/Anderson_SLAC_Jan05.pdf

Actually, the HVCM Modulator mentioned above was designed by Bill Reiss of LANL and Dave Anderson for the Spallation Neutron Source Project. I was not involved in its design, although we do have one HVCM unit at SLAC for evaluation. However, since we require 120kV at 140A for the new ILC 10MW klystron tubes, and since the HVCM was designed for only 95A output we are developing a Marx-type Modulator, described here: http://www-group.slac.stanford.edu/esd/ILCMarx/PPC2005Paper.pdf

There's also a few mech diagrams in this folder:
http://www-group.slac.stanford.edu/esd/ILCMarx/

Since the Marx should be 96-98% efficient, I'm curious to know what kind of 'Freau Number' it might generate, with 200-300PPS output bursts into a suitably sized toroid.

-GL