Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: boris petkovic <petkovic7@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Dmitry, ----- > 2. > http://www.ttr.com/hist.html > > "Model 10 Tesla Coil used to trigger man-made > lightning across six foot gap. > This discharge is over 10KA at less than 5 usecs. > rise time, producing a > large electromagnetic pulse (emp). Storage capacitor > used is rated at 60 > KVDC, 75 Joules." > > "less than 5 usecs. rise time" - oh yeah? and what > secondary inductance do > we need for this? did they ever try to calculate? > impossible! LOL :-))) > ----- Good point. High current spikes in short time intervals due to parasitic L-C elements (top turns of the secondary ,toroid ,discharge path etc) are attainable in such experiment. As Bill said,high frequency modes of the secondary might be excited over secondary to an extent as well. Enhancing the release of the energy that way.

But I also suspect that most of the energy is released
in low frequency mode at frequency determined by C
value of the storage capacitor and L (DC inductance)
of the secondary.
It would be interesting to make small scale experiment
and appropriate msms to see what would be going on...
To use say 7 joules instead of 7 kJ.

All the Best,
Boris