Re: Tesla coil to tesla magnifier

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Steven Steele" <sbsteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Is it possible to us the caps and the seondary of my M-20 coil to make a
tesla magnifier?
If so, is there some sort of program I can use to make the magnifier's
secondary, assuming I would use the M-20 secondary as the resonator?

Try the Mrn6 program, at http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs

It will compute the required elements and plot the resulting waveforms,
assuming no losses.

Try also the Optmag program, that does the same design but allows
you to see the effect of some losses (series resistances in the
inductors) and optimize the circuit for compensation.

The main problem is the "C2" capacitor, required across the secondary
coil of the magnifier. Look for a mode where it is small enough to be
the distributed capacitance at that node, that is approximately the
sum of the Medhurst capacitances of the secondary and tertiary coils,
the "transmission line", and possible toroids at the top of the
secondary and bottom of the tertiary. Maybe a mode as 5:6:21, with
the third multiplier much larger than the other two. If you just
estimate the required C2 and search for a mode that results in
something close this is enough, as the precise adjustment is not
critical for performance.
Look also at the required coupling coefficient between the primary
and secondary coils. It's difficult to make it larger than, say, 0.4.

The Inca program can be used to design the driver with the required
inductances and coupling coefficient. It can also calculate some
distributed capacitances.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz