Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> do you see a giant strike rail or stupid wide flat
> primary here? no? me too

Yes. About the bottom third of Electrum's tower is
empty. When you see that photograph with the spark
looping back to strike the tower, the place where the
spark strikes is the bottom of the actual secondary
coil, which is "only" 154 inches tall. There is a
small neat internal primary.

> besides - your oltc2 ideally matches for this - only > 1 turn, but instead of > this you`ve taken an "old 4.5" x 13" spark gap coil" > - why?

Because the OLTC2 was broken and I couldn't be
bothered repairing it. Anyway, even with the highest
power/energy possible and the biggest topload I could
lay hands on (a 48" x 8" stacked on a 24" x 8") the
OLTC2 never quite managed 3 times its secondary
length. (81" sparks from 30" coil height= 2.7x)

I recently got 2.9 times the secondary length from my
DRSSTC. (40" spark from a 14" tall secondary) That is
in spite of a primary coil and strike rail that are
definitely "stupid" from a field control perspective.

However it only happens every couple of minutes and I
never managed to get a picture. Maybe it was a fluke
:(

> i`am very very very sorry guys, coz this
> book costs only about $5
> for russians:

:-(

> i`ve no time to read it,
> but maybe some day - who knows?  :-)))

Let us know when you discover the secret of 120 foot
sparks!

Steve Conner