Re: Aircraft and lightning

At 12:24 PM 8/4/2005, you wrote:

Some investigators speculate the cause of the crash
was the lightning since heavy thunderstorm was going
on in the area.

Lightning or not,I'd like to raise few points
regarding that matter.
First of all,how lightning initiated by aircraft can
be the cause of potentialy fatal accidents like
that?Having in mind that commercial aircrafts are
designed to be "lightningproof" and rigorous test
standards for commercial aircraft and aviation
equipment generally:

http://www.sae.org

Lightning is associated with thunderstorms, which have all sorts of hazards that are not lightning related.

Relatively few aircraft accidents have been attributed to lightning (as you say, they're pretty lightning proof) and most commercial aircraft have been hit by lightning more than once. (I've been in a airliner when it was hit, and unless you happened to be looking outside, I doubt anyone would have noticed) Accidents occur when something like a radome gets destroyed and that causes some further structural problem.

However, lots of aircraft crashes have occurred as the result of things like downbursts or wind shear events occuring in connection with a thunderstorm.

Perhaps,situations in reality are way too complicated
to be imitated by  voltage pulse generators tests-and
that can sometimes lead to different outcome of the
process?
Inspite of huge action integrals ,or specific
energies, (like 3MJ/ohm) and peak  currents  of 200 kA
in aircraft test standards,seems that danger is still
underestimated.How?

I don't think the danger is underestimated. I think that the planes are lightning proof.

Lightning is a multicomponent transient,especially the
one ignited by a conducting object not attached to the
Earth.Bidirectional/bipolar leader phase development
could change triggered lightning pulses  having other
(unexpected) consequences.
IIRC,URL to videoframes of a lightning  strike to
Boeing during take off from an airport in Japan have
been posted before to TCML,clearly showing upward and
downward branched leader structures lounched by the
plane.
That plane survived the lightning event without damage
,as well as Apollo 12 spacecraft in 1969. did too.
But Boeing 747 struck in 1975 near JFK airport (NY)
and Lockheed jumbo jet near Dallas in 1985. did
not.Hundreds of passangers got killed.

Both the 1975 Eastern Flt 66 incident at JFK and the 1985 incident in Dallas were thunderstorm related but not lightning.

http://www-frd.fsl.noaa.gov/mab/microburst/micro_course.html
http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/people/journals/aero/coppenbarger/micro.html

According to eyewitnesses ,they have strange
properties of being very bright (almost blinding) and
they produce explosive booms sometimes accompanied by
sounds reminding of artllery salvos.

The one I observed was essentially silent (or, at least, you couldn't hear it over the relatively high background noise in the plane). There was a lot of turbulence at the time, so there was a lot of rattling and creaking noises, as well as a higher than usual amount of engine noise (no fool, that pilot.. carry lots of power, so you don't have to wait for the engines to spool up when you need it) It was VERY bright, but, inasmuch as there was lots of lighting in the area, most people had their window shades down and were trying to watch the movie. (Aside from the inevitable folks going "we're going to die" from the turbulence.)

It struck near the end of the wing. I have no idea if the stroke exited somewhere else.

As far as the sound of lightning "up close and personal" goes, the three times I've been near a stroke, it's sounded more like a very loud crack rather than a boom. More precisely, it sounds like "hiss, buzz, crackle, BANG" as the field comes up before hand. I'm not sure what the buzz comes from, but it's been there all three times, and it's very distinct from the usual corona hiss and crackle we're all familiar with. Someone suggested that it's some sort of relaxation oscillation as a metal object in the field charges up and discharges with a streamer. The whole time sequence is maybe 3 or 4 seconds. Except for the hiss and buzz, which can last a lot longer, and occur whenever the field is high, even without a long stroke, and is really really creepy, because you just know something big might happen. You also get to feel your hair standing on end.