Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Malcolm.

>  >Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>  > Isec (pk) = 61A, with full primary voltage at 38kHz
>  > Total tower height - 38' 8"
>
>  > 61 a means that bang  energy = 241.86 joules - real "big bang", i love
>  > this guy %-) total capacitance of discharger and the coil would be 135
>  > pf,  then secondary voltage is 1.9 MV.
>  >
>  > Tl> Point is, how much shorter can you make it before it does become a
>  > Tl> problem at 1.9MV (I assume that figure is calculated as though the
>  > Tl> coil had no losses)?
>
>  > if this current peak is just before the discharge (zero voltage), then
>  > it`s separated from discharge moment (max voltage) only by a quarter
>  > of period of Fres - what losses are you talking about?

> Principally sparkgap losses.

we speak about Isec peak, i.e. energy is already transferred into
secondary - gap losses are already in the past. the coil is very tall, so
coupling probably is very low (b.t.w. - don`t you know how much?), then
losses resistance of gap transformed into secondary would be very high.

> Of course secondary Q is not infinite either. Then there is the ground.

are you tryin to say, that in quarter of period system lose 90 joules - 37%
of its start (at the beginning of the period) energy? and what about
full period then? %)

-----
I am skeptical about space aliens too, but space aliens have a greater
probability of existence in my opinion than extra garage space...
(c) Richard Quick  6-07-95 03:59