Re: Recent s.s.t.c work

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

One might be tempted to a little schadenfreude when viewing

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/KCH_debug.jpg

my work-in-progress photo. But after a few design and wiring error-and-omission corrections, the main board (at the right) is chugging along beautifully, much to my satisfaction--and exceeding expectation by a whole lot. Currently, I'm about to make a small logic-improvement on the controller-board at the left. Also, upon connecting the IGBT gates I found that a) I needed more than the +12V I'd provided from the l.v. supply and b) for larger spark-gate durations, my driver supply-capacitors are not big enough (and right you were on that, Steve Ward!). Happily, I could series-connect the 12V and 5V power-supply outputs, and diminish by 2 volts the negative gate-rails in the drivers, thus adding sufficiently to the + gate excursions; with the larger capacitors they should now be n.l.t. 23V or so for up to the largest practicable spark duration. I expect to procure/install larger cap's tomorrow & then actually apply a little HV (as soon as I can summon up the courage to do that).

My "pilot oscillator" scheme, for charging the IGBT-drivers' supply-capacitors thru the 1:2:2:2:2 drive transformer, works very nicely. I find that it has the added advantage of providing an always-available drive signal which has been highly useful for trouble-shooting, as it will also be when I get to running the whole thing at low HV where there will be insufficient primary-current-derived feedback to otherwise sustain oscillation.

Ken Herrick