RE: Grounding before secondary

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx>

Most NST-powered coils absolutely must not ground either side of the spark gap or tank cap or primary coil. This is true whenever you have an NST with a mid-point grounded secondary coil - which is the case for typically anything over 6kV. For mid-point grounded secondary NST's, the case of the NST is typically connected to RF ground, as opposed to your mains (3rd wire) ground. The schematic for my 15kV NST coil is at http://users.rcn.com/laushaus/tesla/myschematic.gif

If your NST has one side of the secondary tied to the core (case), then
since that secondary side is grounded, you may ground that spark gap
connection and primary coil connection:
http://users.rcn.com/laushaus/tesla/minicoil_files/minicoil.gif

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA