MOT Testing

Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mark,
OK, I have tested a couple of the MOT's as you suggested. The first one is one of the smaller ones. I connected my variac to the primary and at 10 V in I got 200 V out, at 20 V in I got 400 V out, and at 30 V in I got 600 out. So I feel like I can be sure it has a 1 to 20 turns ratio. At 120 V in, this MOT should have 2400 V out. BTW, I have a "true RMS" DMM. When I first checked this MOT, I connected it in reverse in order to deal with much lower and safer voltages. Checking it this way with power going in to the secondary, it checked as if it has a 25 to 1 turns ratio. I put 100 V on the secondary and got 4 V on the primary. I checked again with 50 V and got 2 V out. I then checked with 25 V and got 1 V out. I don't understand why I get different results when checking it in reverse. Anybody have an explanation for this?

I then checked the large MOT that is labeled 4000 Vac. At 10 V in I get 185 V out, 30 V in 550 V out. This gives a turns ratio of approximately .055. So 120 V / .055 = 2180 Vac out. I measured the impedance of the primary by shorting the secondary and measuring the amps on the primary while feeding first 10 volts and then 20 volts. At 10 V I measured app. 2.1 A and at 20 V I measured app. 4.2 A. Z=V/I and Z=20/4.2 or Z=4.76 ohms. With no current limiting and a short on the secondary it should pull 120V/4.76ohms=25.2 A. So evidently it is at least current limited a little. It shouldn't require too much current limiting to get it down to a more workable 15A.

I'm somewhat fuzzy on current limiting. How do I determine the size of my current limiting inductor? I guess using resistance to limit the current would be highly inefficient and generate too much heat?

If any of my math is wrong or if I'm using incorrect equations, will you please straighten me out? As if it is possible to straighten me out!!! {:-)
Thanks.
Paul
Think Positive
PS Is it possible to have too many MOT's??!!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 10:02 AM Subject: RE: Expensive hobby