RE: Current Limiting and Impedence

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Gerry:

You may be onto something.
My current limiter is homemade from a pair of U100/57/25 U-Cores.  They
were salvaged so I don't know the exact matl, but based on the mfg
markings I believe that the max AL = 5500 nH.
Ae = 645 mm^2, Le = 308 mm
My coil is 160 turns of #14 ga coated magnet wire.
I don't have my notes with me, but I recall that ungapped it has ~ 60 mH
inductance.

I currently run with a gap(I think .015" - have to check notes at
home)and an Inductance L = 15 mH.

So my inductance per turn is 596 nH which is below  AL = 5500 nH so
that's OK, BUT I get:

Core Flux = 810 uWebers
Core Flux Density = 1.26 Tesla

Based on what I know, 0.5 Tesla is saturation and I should design no
higher than .32 Tesla.

You agree?
If yes, I need more core volume, right?
I just computed a solution with more turns - appears 600 turns would get
me down to .32 Tesla, but I'll need a .75" air gap to get the L = 15 mH
I need.  Seems I really screwed this up.
Am I really this far off?  Sorry to pester you guys with this simple EE
stuff, but sometimes I get myself confused and don't have anyone to
discuss concepts like this with.

Thanks
Mark

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry and Mark,

Something sounds backwards to me on this.  If I understand correctly,
the
90 Vac is across the transformer and not the ballast inductior.  I'm
thinking the ballast inductor is saturating.

Gerry R.