Re: Magnifier Driver coil design

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

I was talking to Jimmy just a minute ago and he pointed out that i
should figure out the over all coupling between all 3 coils, that is,
treating the L2 and L3 as 1 coil.  I found a formula on Antonio's
site, looked like this:

K(L1L2L3)=(KL1L2)*sqrt(L2/(L2+L3)).  I ran my original design through
there with the ~4mH secondary and got a pathetic .07 for the K!  Im
almost certian that wont work too well.

So here is my revised design:

Tertiary: 8.1"x45" winding of 46awg with a 36" toroid up top.  L is
190mH, loaded Fr is 48khz.  Im going to start off just using my
original secondary, since i *know* it will take lots of abuse for
producing long sparks.  Will look at shorter windings later when
teslathons approach at the end of summer.

Secondary: 12.25"x18", 22awg winding.  L is 55mH.  With a 17"x2.5"
toroid on top the Fr of that coil is 123khz (not that this should
matter).

Primary:  20" diameter, 9.5 turns, .5" diameter conductor, .4"
spacing.  53uH, and using a .45uF tank capacitor.  Fr 32khz.

With a K (pri/sec) of .5, i calculate an overall K of .24, which is
right where i want it.  I looked at what i had done with the little
DRSSTC magnifier and noticed that my driver L to resonator L was a
ratio of about 1:3.2.  I felt that the driver is producing a little
too much voltage, so a ratio of 1:3.5 seems about right for a start,
so that is how i arrived at the 55mH for the secondary coil with a
190mH tertiary.

Keeping the coils from arcing will be a fun challenge.  Must not have
any sharp points on my primary!  I might also look at reducing the
Bang length on my driver so that i can try running greater than 500bps
and keep the power reasonable and see if anything fun happens :-).

Steve