Re: Terry's DRSSTC - Experiment - A curious thing...

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > as a function of BPS. Sort of like this: > > 500BPS = short sparks > 550BPS = long single arc > 600 BPS = short sparks > 700 BPS = long single arc > . > . > . > > Those are not really the exact numbers, but just increasing the BPS say > from 660 to 690 increased the length of the streamers about 5X!! Then > increasing the BPS further to 720 made the streamers fall back to the short > discharge again! It is almost like the streamer length is going through > nodes and anti-nodes as the BPS is increased. >

Perhaps the nonlinearities can cause it to be in more than one mode.

Try starting it up at a given BPS and see if you have the same effect or
approach a max or min from higher or lower BPS.
 Its tempting to assume that when the streamer length is so dependent on the
BPS it would also be dependent on the duration/energy of the burst.
i.e. a small change in the duration(number of cycles per burst) would change
the streamer length too. If not you may need an exotic effect to explain it
or a artifact of your control system or PS.
Beating between the BPS and mains frequency would be my guess.

Robert (R. A.) Jones
A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl
407 649 6400