Re: Terry's DRSSTC - Experiment - A curious thing...

Original poster: Mr Gregory Peters <s371034@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Terry,

I actually used to notice this on my ASRSG coil. Hence many of my earlier posts (years ago) advocate the use of ASRSGs with very high BPS. In fact, I recall suggesting that 600 was the minimum, with about 750-800 seeming "just right" for my system. These very high breakrates seem to work real well with short stubby coils, ala Richard Hull. I was rubbished at the time for suggesting that an async gap could ever compare to a sync gap, but it can and does, provided the system is set up right. A well quenched static gap in series with the rsg is needed to maintain efficiency. My experiments suggested that quenching is of far more importance in asrsg systems than in srsg systems. But, as per usual, this is an observation and I can't back it up with the models and proper theory, except to say that the current draw dropped by 1/3 for the same amount of spark.

Perhaps your "computer coil" is now able to show this because your solid state spark gap can provide the "quench" necessary, and most earlier experimenters didn't obsess over quench times the way I did.

I see many MOT coils on the web these days with asrsg. These low voltage, high current systems would do especially well with a series static gap. And by this, I don't mean some stupid copper pipe gap with a fan blowing on it. I mean a gap where the electrode face is blown by a 100 psi stream of air from a real compressor.

Some points: 1) I rarely read list posts now, so I'm not sure what has been going on for the last few years. No flaming please. Just happened to catch this one. May seem really dumb, so go easy.

2) If you want to try some asrsg experiments, make sure you can verify the BPS. Use a hall sensor to measure mechanical BPS, and an optical for actual BPS.

3) Make sure your mechanical dwell period is under 100uS by using appropriately sized rotors and electrodes.

Cheers,

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Queensland, Australia