Re: Resonance

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

On Apr 7, 2005 6:23 PM, Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Original poster: "Steven Steele" <sbsteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Actually no, wire isn't cheap. at least not for me. Time isn't cheap
> either. I'm getting a grade on this Tesla coil. If i finish, it's an A. If
> I don't, it's a 0. I've o nly got till the end of the semester. 8^0
> :(
>
>                             Steven Steele

Just unwind all the layers but one if you can.

You asked to elaborate on multilayer secondaries.  There exist what
are called "pancake coils" where the secondary consists of many (maybe
50 to 100) layers of wire, each layer only having a few turns (10-20).
 They are very time consuming to construct.  The low turns per layer
means low voltage stress between each layer of winding, making this
design feasable.  In your case where you have several hundred turns
per layer and only a thin insulation between them, the coil will not
hold up to more than maybe 5kV output.

Im sure your instructor wouldnt give you a 0.  Zero's are given to
those who dont even try, thats not the case here.  I wouldnt be
surprised if you got a B for the work you have done so far.  But i
will say this, you should have done just a litte more research before
you starting winding.  I wont lie, ive done the same thing in the
past.  I started coiling at the age of 13 (19 yrs old now) and ive
made other "foolish" mistakes because i didnt really understand the
grand scheme of things.  Of course its always painfully obvious in
hindsight.

Steve Ward